Monday, September 15, 2008

The Cloisters

I can't even begin to describe how beautiful the Cloisters Museum is. It's north of Manhattan, on 190th Street, and when you go there it feels like you're in a different country, like the south of France. The grounds are breathtaking, and the building itself houses several ancient chapels, art, and stained glass dating back to the 13th century. Come take a trip to this peaceful place with us through my photos!













I think what I love so much about this religious art and iconography is that it is both beautiful and eerie. It symbolizes both the hope and fear of generations of people who are now long gone. Like a cemetery, the Cloisters feels sacred, quiet, and dense with history. 


6 comments:

Ichigo Tamago said...

You may not be able to tell, but I'm pretty sure the person in the last pic is giving your blog 2 thumbs up.

Ichigo Tamago said...

Also, my favorite photo is the one of the tiny fountain.

Uncle Larry said...

excellent work, k.o. your photos just keep getting better. keep it up!

Merrie said...

I love the picture with Burke! I hope married life is treating you well. :) Are you going to be in town for Pat's wedding? If you guys have time I hope I can see you!

Amie said...

I have always wanted to visit the Cloisters, thanks for the photo tour! Is the weather amazing there, or what?

Lynda said...

these pictures are amazing. i can't wait to go back!