Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Note About Food

After all these months of living in New York, I haven't taken the time to write a blog post about food yet! Of course, I've tried a lot of new things since we've been here--with mixed results. Probably the worst thing I've had to eat here was Mexican food. Burke and I sometimes start experiencing chips-and-salsa withdrawal, so we occasionally venture out to a Mexican restaurant in the city. BIG mistake. We just need to wait till we're in Texas to satisfy those cravings.
But on the other hand, there are some really tasty foods here in Manhattan. And last week, I found the Holy Grail of Cookies. Behold the chocolate and walnut chip from Levain Bakery:
These cookies are as big and thick as hamburger patties. They're served warm, fresh from the oven, when you buy them. They're gooey and rich and melt in your mouth. They are available in four flavors, and my favorite is the dark chocolate peanut-butter chip.
These cookies are gaining quite a reputation after being featured on Oprah and Martha Stewart. The ingredients are top secret, but on the bakery's website they have copycat recipes. So if you like baking, make some of your own! As for me, I'm just gonna run down the street. Levain is only two blocks away.

(P.S. This post is dedicated to Amie, whose awesome cooking blog inspired me to write about food!)

2 comments:

Amie said...

I have some "copycat" dough in my fridge right now (I didn't bake the whole batch at one time b/c I like my cookies fresh out of the oven)! They are SO good!! I didn't actually scoop them as big as suggested, but maybe I should. I mean, what's the difference between one giant cookie and 4 small ones?! Thanks for the link to their site, K!

Ichigo Tamago said...

Yum!