Sunday, April 18, 2010

Uncle Jerry

My uncle, Gerard Coutu, who was married to my mother's sister Janis, passed away today after having a heart attack and then being in a coma for two weeks. Uncle Jerry was an incredibly intelligent, generous, light-hearted, kind person. I still fondly remember him teaching me card tricks when I was a little girl, and over the last two years he and I had been exchanging e-mails frequently with each other. He held a PhD in mathematics and taught electrical engineering for over ten years. I admired him and was inspired by his accomplishments and character.
Jerry, it was an honor to be your niece. You will always be a wonderful reminder of how good people can be. Rest in peace.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Katie,

Very sorry to hear about your uncle. Sounds like a cool guy.

Geoff

Bob Hamburger said...

Gerry was my teacher, mentor, and friend. He was my graduate advisor at RPI@Hartford in the late 1980s and early 90s, and my teacher for three graduate-level EE classes. We became friends, collaborated on various small projects, and managed to stay in touch through the years even though he moved clear across the country. I have never met anyone with his ability to understand and master really, really difficult subjects, and then be able to explain them with clarity and passion. Despite his towering intellect, he was one of the most humble, down-to-earth, and funny guys I've ever known. I hadn't talked to him in a few months, and just randomly Googled him this evening to see what he'd been up to... I was devastated when I saw the obituary. The world is a sadder place without him. He left us far too soon, because I know that he still had contributions to make. Please accept my sympathies.