Sunday, May 18, 2014

Trip to Memphis and Clarksdale

For a blog about my experiences in New York, I realize there sure are a lot of posts about my travels to other states! Nevertheless, I wanted to share a few of my favorite shots from our trip with friends to Memphis, TN, and Clarksdale, MS. 

Our New York pals Sascha and Diana inspired the trip; they had been down there before, so they basically planned everything out. And it was all really cool! We caught a few live blues shows; toured Sun Studios, Faulkner's house, and Graceland; visited the site where Martin L. King Jr. was assassinated; ate amazing BBQ and fried chicken; and sang songs on the porch of our "shack." 
The shack we rented in Clarksdale, at the Shack Up Inn.
Shack interior.
Delta Blues marker for musician Muddy Waters.

Uhhh…yum?



Cotton fields...
…everywhere.

A little "ghost town" we drove through.

William Faulkner's handwriting! On his office wall.
Graceland.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention our visit to Graceland Too: a "museum" run by an insane old man showcasing the utterly obsessive collection of Elvis memorabilia in his house. As one Yelp review put it, it's "sort of like a spiritual experience, fever dream, and brush with death all at once." 




Inside Sun Studio.
If the four of us recorded an album, I think this would be the cover photo.

Beale Street in Memphis.
We stayed in the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, where trained ducks march into the lobby every day to hang out in the indoor fountain. Probably the most adorable 100-year tradition ever.

1 comment:

bean said...

Memphis is my hometown. My Daddy grew up in MS and knew Elvis as a boy. :)

Love the pictures...nice to see home again.