Monday, August 18, 2014

Birthday

The night of my birthday, July 2nd, a severe thunderstorm hit New York City. It rained harder than I've ever seen it rain up here, and there was some amazing lightning and thunder. Some of the highways even flooded, making transportation difficult. But I took a taxi downtown to meet Burke for a celebratory dinner at La Lanterna (an old favorite), followed by a long-awaited visit to the Comedy Cellar.
Rain-soaked and ready to laugh.

The Comedy Cellar is a basement stand-up comedy club in the Village that's well-known for getting surprise visits by famous comedians (like Louis CK, Seinfeld, Dave Chappelle, etc.). The night we went was a Wednesday, and the only name on the bill I recognized was Hannibal Buress (who is a big enough star that I felt lucky he happened to be performing on my birthday).

But little did we know, two additional famous people decided to drop in unannounced. The first was film writer/director Judd Apatow! The other was Ray Romano of Everybody Loves Raymond (a show I never liked, but trust me: the guy can hold his own in front of a brick wall).

Judd Apatow.

Hannibal Buress. P.S. Photos are strictly prohibited at the venue. ;)

I highly recommend a trip to the Comedy Cellar to anyone interested in stand-up. For only $14, it's a full evening of entertainment and laughter…plus, who knows who you might see there?

No comments: